Regular prompt posting resumes next Saturday.
In the meantime, here’s a contest announcement that might be of interest to you.
The Carriage House Poetry Series
& The Fanwood Shade Tree Commission
Announce The Carriage House Poetry Prize
in Observance of Arbor Day 2014
First Prize – $250.00
Publication in the Autumn 2014 Print Issue of TIFERET
Selected Finalists Will Receive Certificates
• Entries should consist of no more than two poems—no more than 40 lines each.
• Each poem must be single-spaced on a separate sheet of paper.
• Submit 2 copies of each poem, one copy with the poet’s name, address, phone number,
and email address in the upper right corner.
• Poems must be previously unpublished and must contain reference to a tree or trees (not necessarily poems about trees). Any style or form. (Not re-writes or take-offs on Joyce Kilmer’s famous poem “Trees.” Judges will look for poems characterized by technical proficiency, striking imagery and strong sound quality.)
• Entry is free. (Poems will not be returned, so please keep a copy for your files.)
• Deadline: In-hand by March 1, 2014. Winners will be notified via email by April 7, 2014.
Send entries by snail mail only to:
Carriage House Poetry Prize
c/o Adele Kenny & Tom Plante
Fanwood Borough Hall
75 North Martine Avenue
Fanwood, NJ 07023
Tom Plante (Publisher/Editor Exit 13 Magazine)
Linda Radice (Award Winning Poet & Fanwood Arts Council Member)
Donna Baier Stein—Founder/publisher of Tiferet; Pen/New England Discovery Award & NJ State Arts Council Fellowship recipient; awards from the Poetry Societies of Virginia and New England; founding poetry editor of Bellevue Literary Review; Breadloaf Writers Conference scholarship; Johns Hopkins University Writing Seminars fellowship; author of Sometimes You Sense the Difference; Iowa fiction awards finalist for Sympathetic People (published by Serving House Press, 2013).
Adele Kenny—Author of 23 books (poetry & nonfiction); Carriage House Poetry Series founder/director; Fanwood’s Poet Laureate (appointed March 2012), Tiferet Poetry Editor; two NJ State Arts Council poetry fellowships; Writers Digest Poetry Award; Thomas Merton Poetry Award; first place Merit Book Award; 2012 International Book Award; former creative writing professor (College of New Rochelle); twice featured at the Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival; has read in the US, England, Ireland, & France.